Regular dental cleanings can help you prevent gum disease and tooth loss while keeping your smile looking brighter and healthier. Let Market Place Dentistry help you smile with confidence,
schedule a dental cleaning today.
What to Expect During a Dental Cleaning
Dental cleanings, especially if you have not had one in some time, can feel daunting. Many patients worry they may have cavities or that cleaning will hurt. However, dental cleanings only take around 30 minutes and are not typically painful.
When you come in for your dental cleaning, you can expect:
- X-Rays: X-rays are typically done every 2-3 years. If this is your first time visiting us and you have not had X-rays done in the last two years, your exam will begin with a full set of x-rays.
- Plaque Removal: The removal of hard dental tartar or calculus which builds up on the teeth and can’t be removed by brushing. This calculus has a lot of bacteria in it and bacterial toxins which cause gum inflammation leading to bone and eventually tooth loss.
- Polishing Toothpaste: A special toothpaste with a fine grit texture will be used to polish your teeth.
- Flossing: Your hygienist will floss your teeth after teeth cleaning to assure there is no debris left behind and to check to see if there are any tight spots.
- Fluoride Varnish: It’s a dental treatment that can help prevent tooth decay, stop it, or at least slow it down from getting worse. It’s made with fluoride which is a mineral that can strengthen the outer coating of the tooth.
- Discussion: At the end, your hygienist will discuss any issues that may have been found and what you can do to improve or maintain your oral health. H
Dental cleanings are not typically painful. There can be more discomfort for patients who have not had a cleaning for an extended period of time or those who suffer from compromised gum health.
Fortunately, if you keep up with regular appointments, discomfort tends to lessen. As your gums become healthier and less irritated, teeth cleaning becomes easier and more comfortable.
Teeth cleaning is recommended twice a year for most patients. However, those who are prone to cavities, have advanced gum disease, or have other medical conditions may need more frequent visits. Your dentist will discuss with you what the best teeth cleaning schedule is for you.
Why is Teeth Cleaning So Important?
Many patients will avoid teeth cleaning and dental care because they worry that it will hurt or that cavities will be found. However, putting off dental cleaning will just lead to more serious issues and more costly dental work.
Schedule your Marketplace Dentistry Cleaning Today
Get started on the road to better dental health with Marketplace Dentistry. Call today to schedule an appointment.